Saturday, September 10, 2016

The End of the Beginning

It was surreal, walking into a conference room with my site manager and a couple of HR flacks.  Directv had been acquired by ATT about 6 months ago.  As a satellite broadcast technician I felt my job was reasonably secure, stuff breaks... right?  Wrong!  You can guess how this ends, as I left the conference room, unemployed.  What now? I asked myself.  First call the wife, not a call anyone wants to make, my second in 15 years.  A short conversation, mutual reassurance and a promise to come straight home.  That evening we discussed our options, start looking for a job in LA, work with my wife in her business, or SOMETHING ELSE.

After a lot of discussion we decided to go with SOMETHING ELSE.  Before I get into what Something Else entails, a little about me.  As I write this I am a 52 year old, overweight, type 2 diabetic, in need of foot surgery. Not good for long term prospects.  I am also an avid sailor, scuba diver, road cyclist and adventure motorcyclist as is my wife (yes she rides her own motorcycle).  The thought of starting over with yet another company was distressing, but I know we would have a hard time paying the bills any other way.  It wasn't the work that bothered me as much as losing seniority and vacation time.  We have a 28' Hunter sailboat that we love, and any new job would limit our time aboard.  Well, for now I'm free, off to Catalina.

No comments:

Post a Comment