Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Getting Healed

Hurdle number one, my fucking feet. AT&T paid for three months of medical insurance after my lay off.  In that time I have had a partial amputation of my big toe (left foot) and a surgery to reduce the bony prominence in my right foot. The amputation went well, the right foot a bit more problematic. As in, it developed a ulcer on the bottom at the surgery site that shows little sign of healing. At this time the Dr. has me in a non-weightbearing cast, hopefully this will do the trick. I have started a different approach to managing my diabetes after watching a TED talk by Dr. Sarah Hallberg. If you are a type 2 diabetic you know that as your insulin resistance increases you require more and more medication to keep your blood glucose levels under control. Dr. Hallberg, who studies obesity at Purdue, has found in her patients with diabetes severely restricting carbs has lead to many becoming asymptomatic, requiring no diabetes medication at all. In three days of low-carbing it I have reduced my insulin requirement by 75%! As a pleasant side effect I've lost 5 lbs. Mo' fat mo' protein! Any of my type 2 friends out there, I highly recommend watching her TED talk.

My immobility has created some problems with the rest of our goals, mainly house repairs, and frankly attitude.  It's hard to remain positive when you are stuck in the house all day.  On a positive note the sun is shining and maybe I can find a house painter who will show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment